Saturday, March 26, 2011

Just Another Day in Paradise

I have a cunning plan - if somebody wishes you Happy Birthday on a day that really isn't, why not subtract one year from your age? I don't mean that you get to knock a year off for each calendar day. Just take one off for each of the friends who offers the thought. This scheme has really worked out well for me this year - by my calculation, I'm six again, and damn, I'm looking forward to puberty!

The Tall Lady was late home from work one afternoon last week. She had stopped and picked me up some chocolate truffle cupcakes that bore an fascinating resemblance to Halle Berry's breasts (I have my sources). Disturbingly, there were three of them...I may never be able to look at Halle in quite the same way ever again.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I attend a support group at the office of an organization called the Mood Disorders Association of British Columbia, and about three weeks ago, one of the other regulars suggested that we all go out to lunch on March 25th to celebrate my birthday. The place that she chose for us was a Japanese restaurant on Denman Street called Tanpopo. They offer an all you can eat lunch, and I think we acquitted ourselves splendidly. I know that I did.

Some of you who live near me have been introduced to my DVD binders. You are aware that their content is fairly eclectic, and that it is also becoming quite extensive. If  I left the discs in their jewel boxes, there would be no room in the apartment for me, the Tall Lady or the Flying Fellini Sisters. The latest additions to the binders are the first eight in a series of twenty-two films about a single character...Bond - James Bond.

They have been a guilty pleasure of mine for a long time now, and I'm sure that the rest will find their way into my collection at some point. (Thank you, Ian, Harry, Cubby, Sean, George, Roger and the Tall Lady).

I have had congratulations, good wishes, paper and electronic cards. I've lost track of the number of cute kittens who've sung Happy Birthday to me this week, but then, recordkeeping hasn't been one of my best tasks lately. One very good friend shared a video with me from YouTube. It's been a few days now, but I can't get the tune Happy Happy, Joy Joy out of my head! Thank you so much, Maria.

About two weeks ago, my buddy Crazy Blaze, our last foster kitten to date, was adopted. He found a home with his sister, Sidney, about a month before that, but he reconsidered the arrangement and came back to the bosom of his foster family and his hissing, spitting, snarling aunties.

His new mom, Susan, sent me an email yesterday telling me how well he's settling in with her and his new big sister, Gilda. She also commented upon his good manners (he didn't learn those from me).

As good a week as it's been, I think that was my best present of all.

At the beginning of January, the Tall Lady and I attended her dad's eightieth birthday party. It was a great success. Charley was so pleased that he's decided to stay for another eighty years.

I think I'll join him.

No comments:

Post a Comment